[Tango-L] Tango techniques book

David Hodgson DHodgson at TangoLabyrinth.com
Sat Dec 1 14:45:22 EST 2007

Thank you Alberto, this is really good.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Alberto Gesualdi
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 9:40 AM
To: tango-l at mit.edu
Subject: [Tango-L] Tango techniques book

Hi All
  I saw a messsage from a person asking for this kind of book ,
unfortunately it went to my basket and deleted accidentally.
  However , I would like to make some comments on this subject ,as a tango
pupil from 1998 up today

  1) Stretching exercises. I do not understand why before the tango lesson,
some exercises , simple, are not done to relax the body for the lesso.
  Some years ago, Victor Levant, a contributor to this list, offer a series
of stretching exercises for tango preparation, they are available at
  http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2004/msg00912.html

  wow... is from 2004 year , how time goes by ... everlasting thanks to
Victor Levant from this simple and practical contribution

  2) concernign technique of tango , I dont think there is a book that could
match a good tango lesson with a human being, that can check your balance ,
weight on each foot, movement, posture, etc.etc..

  I am tired to receive at our tango school people that wants to make
ganchos and could not lead and/or make a decent bacwards 8 . If you can not
lead or make a backward 8 , how can you do a gancho ??

  The best embellishments are the one ( for people that are dancing tango
social dance, not for statge ) , that can be done in the space you have at
the dance floor, shared with the other couples, with the person you are
dancing at that moment , and with the things that pop up from the couple,
without a deliberate concealment beforehand. In other words, if your woman
at the dance says to yoiu " make me to do boleos" , the dance of a couple is
ended, there remain two individuals trying to show their individual egos ,
in a competition that will not make good for none of them two, and the third
in between, the one that suffers, the embrace .

  3) We can make this thinking for learning tango technique, i will borrow
some explanations from lama surya das on his excellent book "awakening the
buddah within"

  3.1. ignorance of the truth . are we old, fat, handsome, tall, short ?
this is what we are , we can not pretend to be different when dancing, the
truth is upon us and , in social dancing, you forget the physical
appeareance , it is the self that shows in the dancing that matters, that
thing that make people looking to say " i do not know what are they doing,
but i like it "

  3.2. attachment , what are we attached to ?? our show off , do we like to
buy the best tango shoes , the best clothes, are we attached to this outer
par of our selves . can we put apart the two side escorts of this poison of
attachemnt , nameluy, pride and jealousy ??
  can we humble enough to recognize that we need a long way yet to have, not
a tango technique, but just a walking that is balanced ?? can we acept that
there are peple that dance social tango better than we dance ? and thay they
will take the woman whom we dance the previous tanda, and we do not know
why, but the woman dance better with the other guy than when she danced with
us ? can we acept this situations ? otherwise the poison of attachment mixed
altogether with pride and jealousy takes back us to point 1, ignorance of
the truth.
  Our mind keeps wjhispering in our inside ear " you are doing good, you are
doing good " , but the mind has no foot, no body, could not feel in other
way than our physical compromise with the dancing floor and with the
"otherness" of our dancing partner . For a short time , two bodies are more
than one, the mind has to be shut down at this time, only the feelings, the
aceptance of the"otherness" , humble, curiosity, and the fun of dancing just
for the fun of it.

  3.3. aversion. are we ready to change some of our beliefs and prejudice
concerning ourselves and new ventures =? will we acept that this tango
technique is not something beyond reach , that the threshold of the door is
not far away from us , but inside us, that is necessary only a small step of
awakening ?

  I will end this comment with a short tale from sufis teachers. The
original tale used the words " lover" and " the one who is loved ", i will
use "leader " and "the one who follows"

  There is a closed door
  The leader knocks the door
  The one who follows ask "who is there ?  "
  The leader answers " it is I , the leader"
  The door remains closed.
  The door will only open when at the knocking and the question" who is
there ?" the answer will say " it is you , the one that follows "

  warm regards
  alberto