[Tango-L] Who leads what who follows what

doug@swingfusion.com doug at swingfusion.com
Sat Dec 1 12:59:32 EST 2007

I am lead.  Have been instructed to always lead very footfall of follow,
every weight change of follow, every boleo, gancho usw..  Follow adds style,
follow adds embellishment.  I shape dance, she adds nuance.  I lead beats,
phrasing, musical structure of dance.  Follow works within structure to
create intricacy.

Questions - How common is this attitude in tango?  Is this what most leads
want?  What most follows want?  Is it de rigueur?