[Tango-L] Musicality. What is it?

Bruno Afonso bafonso at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 11:27:57 EST 2007

Hey,

On 11/30/07, Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:

> I'm not a musician as such, you're right.  Do I need to be?  Freud did

Here's Mark Sabatella's intro on his jazz primer:

"For the purposes of this primer, we are all musicians. Some of us may
be performing musicians, while most of us are listening musicians.
Most of the former are also the latter. I will try to use the term
performer and listener respectively, rather than the terms musician or
non-musician, when addressing my audience. This primer is intended
primarily for performers who wish to learn jazz improvisation. It is
also intended for listeners who wish to increase their understanding
of the music. I believe that all musicians can benefit from a fuller
understanding of jazz, as this can lead to an enhanced enjoyment of
the music."

There are great musicians that don't play an instrument, that is, they
don't perform. Most musicians do perform and that had them develop
musicality. That is why most persons with a well developed musicality
are indeed performing musicians.

It doesn't mean that you need to be a performer to have good
musicality. Everyone can, they just need to put (a lot of) time into
it, which is less common if you're not a performer.

Don't forget that sometimes one's musicality is other's lack of.
Welcome to music and art.

Bruno Afonso
http://brunoafonso.com (personal, mostly portuguese)
http://openwetware.org/wiki/User:BrunoAfonso (Professional, english)