[Tango-L] Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Thu Aug 30 04:29:00 EDT 2007

David,

No, of course that's not what I'm saying. Do you seriously think it is? Maybe you
just don't understand what the message is about - if not, please read the message
again - or just the subject line.

When we dance socially - EVERYTHING is improvised because that's what Social Dancing
is and that's how we like it. We never know what's coming next - we just dance for the
pure pleasure and, trust me, there's very little pleasure in repeating a choreographed
routine. I've done my share of Performance Dancing to know that.

But this message is not about Social Dancing - it's about exhibition and competition
dancing and, more specifically, how to win. My concern is that, in order to win, couples
will choreograph a routine and, thereby, have a better chance of dancing perfectly and
without any errors, i.e there'll be no improvisation, which, as I've already said, should
be a major element in Social Dancing. Since competitors won't improvise voluntarily,
perhaps we can force them to improvise by putting random obstacles in their way.

Understand now?

Keith, HK

On Thu Aug 30 15:42 , "Burnett, David"  sent: