[Tango-L] Leading Cross

ceverett@ceverett.com ceverett at ceverett.com
Sat Aug 25 05:20:11 EDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:39:16 -0700 (MST), "Huck Kennedy"
<huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu> said:
> Jake Spatz writes:
>
> > I do not agree, however, that it is essentially the same as a front
> > cross step. The cruzada has a completely different feel, setup, rhythm,
> > and exit; moreover, it's a step in place, rather than a step away from
> > the dancer's grounded leg.
>
> Yes.

A challenge: I am thinking of a very lovely and elegant step X, neither
a cruzada nor a front cross, so that:

Front cross <== change A ==> step X <== change B ==> cruzada

AND

Step X can be easily substituted for the cruzada in the 8CB

Describe step X, describe change A that creates the variation between
the front cross from the open step and step X, describe change B that
creates the variation between the cruzada and step X, and finally
compare and contrast change A and change B.

A clue: Susanna Miller taught step X during her tour in the US 2 summers
ago with Maria Plazaola.  (Which is why Susanna is never a waste of time
for me; she brings stuff that I find really thought provoking when I
compare it to what I already know).

Christopher