[Tango-L] Leading Cross

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Fri Aug 24 19:39:16 EDT 2007

Jake Spatz writes:
> Huck Kennedy wrote:
> > Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> writes:
> >
> >> Hm.. Why dance not leading cross when it is so pleasant
> >> to lead it and to be lead to it!?
> >>
> > Maybe because the majority of Argentines believe
> > the cross is automatic (meaning, following the code
> > of the grapevine, as Manuel mentioned) when walking
> > "outside partner" (to borrow a ballroom term) on the
> > right side
>
> For the sake of argument, I usually think of this as being left-ward of
> my partner, as I'm "left of center" in the embrace (and so is she, from
> her perspective).

     The standard terminology is to call that right side,
since you are walking on her right side, and she is
positioned to your right.  Your way of thinking makes
just as much sense, it just doesn't happen to be the one
chosen as the standard.

> But as I've pointed out before, "left" and "right" are problematic
> words in an embrace where the dancers are facing each other.

     Not if everyone agrees on a standard.  Or at least
it's less of a problem that way.

> > Also, someone asked why then this does not happen
> > automatically on the left. First of all, I would submit
> > that nobody in their right (no pun intended) mind ever
> > sets off merrily strolling along outside partner on the
> > left side in parallel feet, at least not in a social
> > setting
>
> You speak for yourself on this one.

     I don't speak for everyone on that, but certainly
not just for myself.  Most social dancers who aren't rank
beginners only dance in crossed feet on the left side.
Which is not to say that I mean to imply you're no better
than a rank beginner of you do choose to do it in
parallel! :)  You've already made it clear in earlier
postings that you enjoy thinking outside the box.  But
in social dancing, walking on the left in crossed feet
rather than parallel not only takes up less space (a big
factor under crowded conditions), it also has much more
of an intimate feel.

> > and if you're in crossed feet, you're typically
> > not really outside partner, but rather working in
> > a three-track system, as it were, and thus blocking the
> > cross.
>
> What you refer to is only one way to style it.
>
> In any case, if the cross IS "automatic" because the grapevine pattern
> underlies the walk (and vice versa), then it only makes sense that one
> would have an automatic cross when walking as you describe. The
> clockwise giro has a front cross step too, you know.

     No, if you're on three tracks, you're blocking
the cross.  Not only that, you're inline, and not
outside partner, and the automatic cross wouldn't even
apply.  But as you point out, that's not the only way to
be crossed:  Just because you're walking in crossed feet
doesn't mean you and your partner are walking inline on
three tracks.  If you as the leader take your foot away
from the central rail and towards the outside, you're no
longer inline on three tracks, you're outside partner,
and depending upon what your torso is doing, probably in
the process of leading a cross.

> Moreover, if you lead the one cross, you can lead the other--provided
> that the lady hasn't done herself the disservice of learning patterns
> she can't override.

     You know, even though the cross is traditionally
automatic, I imagine most good leaders are, via their
body motions, leading it anyway, even if some of them
don't realize it.  And if a leader were to walk for
a prolonged period of time on the right side in, say,
somewhat of a clothesline position (ie. the two of you
not turned much if at all to face each other), I doubt
if a good follower would cross, even if she did consider
the automatic cross to be a code.  So to a large extent,
it could be argued that all the hullabaloo over "automatic
or led?" is effectively moot most of the time.

> Ultimately, I agree with the notion that the cruzada is a learned habit.

     I don't think Manuel called it a "learned habit,"
but rather a code based upon the molinete.  Subtly
different from a learned habit, like, say, a follower
always following a back boleo with a front one whether
led to or not, because in her home community lots of
guy might happen to like leading that, and she's gotten
used to the pattern.

> I do not agree, however, that it is essentially the same as a front
> cross step. The cruzada has a completely different feel, setup, rhythm,
> and exit; moreover, it's a step in place, rather than a step away from
> the dancer's grounded leg.

     Yes.

Huck