[Tango-L] Leading Cross(es)

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Aug 24 16:24:01 EDT 2007

Replies to three posts, in turn, below. Beware of the mutable typeface...

Huck Kennedy wrote:
> Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> writes:
>
>> Hm.. Why dance not leading cross when it is so pleasant
>> to lead it and to be lead to it!?
>>
> Maybe because the majority of Argentines believe
> the cross is automatic (meaning, following the code
> of the grapevine, as Manuel mentioned) when walking
> "outside partner" (to borrow a ballroom term) on the
> right side

For the sake of argument, I usually think of this as being left-ward of
my partner, as I'm "left of center" in the embrace (and so is she, from
her perspective). Sometimes I call it "English driving." But as I've
pointed out before, "left" and "right" are problematic words in an
embrace where the dancers are facing each other. I wish we had clearer
terms.
> Also, someone asked why then this does not happen
> automatically on the left. First of all, I would submit
> that nobody in their right (no pun intended) mind ever
> sets off merrily strolling along outside partner on the
> left side in parallel feet, at least not in a social
> setting
You speak for yourself on this one.
> and if you're in crossed feet, you're typically
> not really outside partner, but rather working in
> a three-track system, as it were, and thus blocking the
> cross.

What you refer to is only one way to style it.

In any case, if the cross IS "automatic" because the grapevine pattern
underlies the walk (and vice versa), then it only makes sense that one
would have an automatic cross when walking as you describe. The
clockwise giro has a front cross step too, you know.

Moreover, if you lead the one cross, you can lead the other-- provided
that the lady hasn't done herself the disservice of learning patterns
she can't override.

Ultimately, I agree with the notion that the cruzada is a learned habit.
I do not agree, however, that it is essentially the same as a front
cross step. The cruzada has a completely different feel, setup, rhythm,
and exit; moreover, it's a step in place, rather than a step away from
the dancer's grounded leg. And if only ladies learned it, even as a
habit, in more than one position, as many men do, then women would have
an easier time playing with the crosses produced by enrosques.

Keith (HK) wrote:

>> But please tell us, when you lead the lady to dance continuous Giros, do you lead each individual step, ie. front cross, opening, back cross, opening [...] Or do you rely on her knowing the code or correct sequence of steps for the Giro? <<

Personally, I lead every damn step, because I sometimes like to change
up this pattern. If the lady does the pattern automatically and I don't
care to change it, I can opt to follow her.

That said, I don't often lead more than two giros consecutively. I
prefer to change the dance more frequently than that.

Manuel wrote:

 >> I don't think it will ever be necessary for a tango dancer to
unlearn the code.... The sequence of steps in the giro is pretty much
cast in stone. <<

The above is true, however, only insofar as one is content with that
degree of improv. For my part, I'd rather lead every step and every
pivot. And when I dance with a woman who relies too much on "the code,"
she runs into conceptual blackout the moment I switch a back cross into,
say, a front cross-- or the moment I let her walk all forward steps.

Thus is the easy made difficult, when one relies too much on a device
like the hallowed "grapevine."

My current view on "the code," for what it's worth, is that the only
thing a woman should do automatically is _change weight when she does
cross_. I've resisted committing to this, but after several months (6+)
of playing around, I've come to conclude that it's much easier on both
dancers if she simply changes feet. Preventing that change is much
easier and clearer than leading it, in most cases.

And, in any case, that's what everyone does with the normal cross. I've
_never_ heard it explained otherwise. Anyone who has, please pipe up,
because I'd love to hear about it.

Jake
DC