[Tango-L] Leading Cross

Huck Kennedy huck at eninet.eas.asu.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:57:19 EDT 2007

Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> writes:

> Hm.. Why dance not leading cross when it is so pleasant
> to lead it and to be lead to it!?
>
> One reason is probably those who do not lead cross just
> do not know how to do it.
>
> I remember - in 6 month of everyday lessons not a single soul
> (even some local Argentineans) was able to tell me logically
> how to lead cross.

     Maybe because the majority of Argentines believe
the cross is automatic (meaning, following the code
of the grapevine, as Manuel mentioned) when walking
"outside partner" (to borrow a ballroom term) on the
right side, unless the cross is explicitly blocked?

     Also, someone asked why then this does not happen
automatically on the left.  First of all, I would submit
that nobody in their right (no pun intended) mind ever
sets off merrily strolling along outside partner on the
left side in parallel feet, at least not in a social
setting, and if you're in crossed feet, you're typically
not really outside partner, but rather working in
a three-track system, as it were, and thus blocking the
cross.

Huck