[Tango-L] Womans' Front Cross (was Expanding social dancing to exhibition level?)

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:48:58 EDT 2007

This is due to a couple of reasons. One is convention and the other is because of the embrace. Actually, the embrace makes many steps to be more difficult to perform symmetrically because the embrace is asymmetrical. However, if the woman is led to do giros around the man in  a CW direction, she will still obey the code and will do a front cross after the open step if the previous cross step was a back cross....

If you consider what is happening when the man walks outside of the woman on either side, it's possible to see than in one case the man is inside the circle and the woman is going around him even as he proceeds along the LOD. OTOH, when the man walks outside the woman, he is going around her and she's not doing the giro. For some reason that I don't know, when the tango cruzado came to be, the man stopped doing the giro or grapevine step. It is probably because when the LOD is followed and the embrace is maintained, it's simply easier for the man to walk along the LOD while inside, and the woman continues to try to go around him in the giro to the left (CCW).

Eduardo Arquimbau (among others) teaches that in the old days, the tango was danced without any regard for the LOD and both partners danced the grapevine steps while dancing sideways. Later they danced sideways along the LOD with the man in the inside of the circle. It was only later that the tango changed and it's danced with the man walking forward and the woman backwards along the LOD. If you ever get a chance to take classes with Eduardo and Gloria, you'll get a much better (and more fun) explanation of what I'm trying to convey.

Regards,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com