[Tango-L] Watch it! [OT]

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Wed Aug 22 19:10:10 EDT 2007

Hi Igor:

The first video clip that you linked is mostly charleston with some
collegiate shag thrown in.  The couple in the same fur coat are doing
collegiate shag.  Others remarked that the couple moving around the
stage are doing Peabody.  That's possible but it seems awfully slow for
Peabody to me, Peabody is light and bouncy.  It might be a variation of
the one step or two step foxtrot. Here is a clip of charleston mixed
with Peabody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOfHtYJX0w

Peabody is very closely related to quickstep, which developed out of it.
   Quickstep is not so bouncy, it's fast but smooth. Here is a good
example of modern quickstep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvheTTktx4Q

Both Peabody and quickstep contain the "crossing" that you refer to.
It's not so much a cross like a tango cross, as it is a way to quickly
skip through a distance and put the following foot directly below you to
spring off of.  Both the lead and the follow do the traveling cross,
usually at different times during the travel, although some figures are
mirror figures involving lots of crosses.  Depending on the dancers and
the style, some quickstep and Peabody can remind me of some milonga.  I
have seen milonga danced with a very bouncy, open style -- I have no
idea what to call that type (and I'm sure that there will of course a
contingent of people on this list who will call it "not a form of milonga").

I added "OT" to the subject line because this is dance-related but
obviously not tango-related.