[Tango-L] Watch it!

Eva Swingo eva_swingo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 05:07:52 EDT 2007

Hi,
The couple not dancing Charleston, remindes me of a strange fenomenon I have
encountered here in Sweden. It is a very rudimentary kind of Tango.
Sailers who had travelled the seven seas, including ports of Argentina and
Uruguay, brought these steps with them to Europe and Sweden, in the 1910s.

It is the basic basic ... 1-2-3-cross.
Including the funny movement upwards as you cross. :D

I actually learnt this step(tango) more then 14 years ago,
from a folkloristic dance society, who see the cultural value of
keeping it alive. They say the steps were noted down in the 1910-20s
And they have been keeping them alive ever since.

Part from this basic, they have 5 more step-kombinations for variation.
Including one - outrageoussly  ;-)  shocking! - where the leader swirles the
lady around, kind of turns her up-side-down, head down, when one leg rises
towards the ceiling. It usually creates butterflies in your belly and a lot of
laughter. A rose in your mouth would certainly fit in there!

This tango does not allow improvisations in the way we are used to today.
The beat is faster, like the Charlesone, fit for that era.

I suppose that is why Ballroom tango (who must originally have originated from
this kind of travel influences?) also are danced to tango music of a comparably
faster beat.

Fun and charming, isn't it! ;-)

Eva