[Tango-L] The Business of Milongas

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Apr 24 13:34:01 EDT 2007

Hi Caroline/Gulden

There are several situations in Buenos Aires, to have the milongas into the B / C category as business.
Although there is a kind of cultural approach from the town hall,  to milongas,  due to tango dancing as part of as a tourist beacon for the city, there are expenses that cannot be avoided , such as:

-security countermeasures into the place ( fire extinghishers, insurance policy updated) . Also there is a maximum quantity of people allowed inside, related to the size of the place. La milonguita at Maipu 444 for instance, could not hold more than 150 people ( and it is pretty packed with that number )

-cost of DJ that includes the personal service, plus the fees to be paid to SADAIC for ownership rights of the music played.

-cost of a buffet service or a catering, or something to serve to the tables. This could be reduced in some cases ( social clubs have a separate restaurant, so there is an agreement to provide food and drink to the tables, such as in Sunderland)

-cost of hiring of the place , it depends on the day of the week and the size of the place. Usually the  organizer/host of the milonga is not the owner of the place (Club Gricel, Dandi , are a few exceptions of this rule).

-in some cases, security assistance has to be paid , if the milonga place is not inside a social club or a building with their own security. People that goes to the milonga are peaceful, but the street is becoming increasingly dangerous at night in Buenos Aires city, so it is necessary to have a control to prevent breaking into the milonga of  thieves .

All in all, the cost of the event is barely covered with the entrance fee, actually, around USD 3 to USD 4 . In certain cases the fee is higher ( if lived orchestras play) , but also the cost of hiring of the orchestra, increases the total expenses.

Nevertheless, to be a host of a milonga, has to be a social venture, that could bring to the person that dares to make this bold move, to gratify herself/himself , with the benefits of being a socializing member within his/her community, which is not a small bonus . To gather people to socialize, is a remarcable achievement.

warm regards
alberto