[Tango-L] tangoprofessionals.org: Sex, laws, and tango teachers

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sat Apr 21 13:08:36 EDT 2007

> As part of preparing the launch of a new organization promoting an effective
> professional Code of Ethics for tango professionals, we would very much like
> to correspond with individuals whose tango communities suffered the effects
> of widely publicized (even if only within the community) inappropriate
> sexual behavior on the part of their local tango teachers or other
> established members of their "tango family".

An excellent idea. I already have a proposal (fully formed, too):

TANGO PROFESSIONALS' CODE OF ETHICS

CLAUSE 1. A tango professional shall not attempt to control, regulate,
preach, moralize upon, or otherwise police the moral behaviour or
alleged immoral misbehaviour of other tango professionals or members of
the tango community in general, nor create organizations that purport to
do the same.

CLAUSES 2-98. [Rendered unnecessary by Clause 1.]

CLAUSE 99. Reserved for future use (punishment for those who violate
Clause 1).

CLAUSE 100. Dissolution of Organization.

See, that wasn't so hard (and it's even easier if you work backwards ...).

P.S. Sufficiently inappropriate behaviour is already controlled by laws.
  If they don't always work as well as they should, a formalized gossip
machine is hardly likely to improve matters.