[Tango-L] No music at practicas

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Apr 15 09:01:22 EDT 2007

Trini:
I agree with your statement  "I always let my students know that if something they're trying doesn't work, it could be that it wasn't in the music." Too many times, dancers force figures that don't fit the music. It looks like the man is trying to shove a square into a circle.

I vividly remember a milonga at the Old Stone House in Washington, DC. I saw Joe and Larissa dancing. He didn't shove everything he knew into 3:30. I suddenly realized that I only knew 5% of what he knew and I didn't have to shove everything I knew into 3:30. That's when a tremendous burden came off my shoulders and I realized I didn't have to be the best at the milonga and I didn't have to use every figure in my vocabularly, especially what I really didn't understand.

Technique, passion, and musicality are all important elements of dancing. You need ALL of them to dance well. I can't work on ALL of them simultaneously. I use the practica to improve my technique.

Michael
Washington, DC
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango