[Tango-L] No music at practicas

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 23:49:13 EDT 2007

Hello Michael,

  You have a good point about learning without music.  However, I think the issue may be the use of music which COMPELS one to move a certain way.  Music that "calls" for certain movements can interfere with the learning process.  I always let my students know that if something they're trying doesn't work, it could be that it wasn't in the music.

  At our practica, I mostly choose music that has a clear rhythm but isn't driving.  So I rarely play Pugliese, for example, and then only at the very end of an evening or when the mood dictates.  I use it to encourage people to relax and take a break.  For practicas, I will play more Canaro, early DiSarli, and even Orchestra Tipica Victor than I would otherwise.  Then it is easier to ignore the music as needed.

  When I am teaching people how to move differently (fast or slow), using the music is critical.  I have concluded that it's being able to use a wide range of velocity that makes someone an interesting dancer (for a leader, anyway), even if he only knows a couple of steps.

  Trini de Pittsburgh

Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:
  I'm not sure I've done a good job in explaining why I feel music gets in the way at practicas.

First, I go to milongas to DANCE what I KNOW and go to practicas to PRACTICE what I DON'T know. If I can't execute a figure without music, I'm NOT going to have success with music. I want the freedom to stop when something goes wrong and try to figure out the problem. Why am I out of position? Why isn't the woman where I think she should be? I shouldn't do this at a milonga.

Lastly, this message was posted from Keith Elsaw:

In contemplation of each of those sentences, invert the premise of each.
Play a sincere game with yourself for a year of believing you think in
exactly the Opposite Way. And really give that way of approaching tango a
chance to see if it takes root in you.

Your dancing pleasure and that of your partners will dramatically grow.

Best,

ke
I have no idea what he is writing about. I'm not convinced I'm approaching tango the wrong way.

Michael
Washington, DC
4 months to the NY Tango Festival

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/