[Tango-L] learning

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Sun Apr 15 01:01:05 EDT 2007

Hi Bruno,

Yeah, that sounds great, but have you ever tried teaching a Tango beginner class?
Spend the first lesson on "listening and feeling" and nobody will come to the
second lesson. People come to a dance class - any dance class, because they want
to move to the music. So, while I have no problem with the "listening" - although
very few beginners in their first class will actually hear a note, the emphasis
has to be on teaching them to move. And by that I mean teaching them how to walk -
first alone and then with a partner.

As for "Improvisation" - that's all down to the guys and is probably at least 2
years away and certainly after "coordination of movement". I doubt you can
improvise if your not coordinated. And "style" - well, that's probably associated
with "feeling" and will just come when it comes - maybe immediately, maybe never.

Keith, HK

On Sun Apr 15 11:32 , "Bruno Romero"  sent: