[Tango-L] Speed kills

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sat Apr 14 10:29:27 EDT 2007

Trini:
When I took private lessons with Joe, music was never an issue because music was rarely played. When learning a new figure or working on an "old" figure, music was a distraction because I tried to force or rush the figure. Without music, I could concentrate completely on the woman's movements. Even without music, I sometimes lost my concentration and rushed my step before the woman executed her step. Here is a specific example.

Suppose I'm dancing front sacadas while the woman does a molinete. I lead her to a front ocho to my left, pivot her 180 degrees and lead her into another front ocho, this time to my right. AFTER she steps forward with her right, she creates space for me to step forward on my left foot for a sacada on her trailing (no weight) foot. I pivot the woman to her left while I pivot to my right, and lead her step side left. AFTER she steps side left, there's space for me to step forward with my right foot and sacada her right (no weight) foot. They key to make it work is I have to WAIT for the woman to create the space BEFORE I step.

I remember getting so nervous that I would miss the space, I stepped BEFORE the woman stepped and slid into her foot. I had to feel the space before I could step. Music playing in the background would have made it more difficult to understand because not only would I rush the step because of my own anxiety, I'd rush to fit the music.

Based on my own struggles, rushing comes from fear I'm going to be late to step. The result is I'm not late. I'm EARLY. When you dance, you have to be on time. EARLY or LATE are of no help.

On a different note, I've never understood why there is music at practicas. I thought the purpose of practicas was to practice figures. To me, the music gets in the way. Sometimes, practicas are really more like milongas. Alan and Angel got it right at the recent Atlanta Tango Festival when they hedged their bets and called an event "practilonga."

Michael
Washington, DC
Found out this week that not only is my Achilles Tendon inflamed and partially torn, it looks like a bullet went straight through the center. Off for a second opinion. At least I can dance, somewhat.