[Tango-L] Salon again

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:30:47 EDT 2007

On 4/13/07, WHITE 95 R <white95r at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think that a problem arises when some folks try to replicate the
> understated elegance and beauty of the expert's dance in a milonga setting.
> This results in graceless plodding, shuffling or stationary posing.
> Unfortunately, they think they are dancing with passion and connection.

Manuel,

I think it would help to be more specific in describing what you are
referring to here ("graceless prodding, shuffling, or stationary
posing"). To some degree I believe I can picture it in my mind, but
interpreted another way, it could be misleading. In my opinion, in
general dancers at milongas in the US need to slow down and contain
their movements. Most dancers are rushing ahead of the music and
making long impulsive movements that carry themselves and their
partners beyond their balance point. This is hardly graceful. On the
other hand, enjoying pauses and stationary suspensions can provide
connection to the music, and these could be explored more and provide
greater enjoyment of the dance. I think most Americans see movement as
a goal in tango, and ignore the beauty of collection and waiting.

Of course, if you are talking about stereotyped stage moves such as
the omnipresent sandwich and the inevitable infinite adornment orgy
that follows - yes - we need to drive that towards a well deserved
extinction.

Ron