[Tango-L] Salon again

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:43:37 EDT 2007

I've always enjoyed and respected the tango ability of the best dancers. The
wonderful mastery of their dance is an inspiration to many of us. I think is
a shame that some people focus on the steps to the detriment of their
overall dance. However, I don't think people do this on purpose or that
teachers neglect to teach the elegance and musicality we all admire so much.
It's rather that people try to emulate those very wonderful qualities they
see in the professional couples. The problem is that they lack the natural
talent and years or practice that the best dancers possess. Naturally, all
that most people can do is to try to learn and mimic the steps that the
teacher performs....

Many of us in the tango community have for years tried to propagate the
tango by different means. We have brought many of the most talented
performers and teachers. We also travel all over the world to take lessons
and learn all we can from the dancers we admire so much. Granted, the
beautiful performances we see and admire are not necessarily appropriate in
a social dance setting in a crowded dance floor and actually, these
professional dancers adjust admirably and with complete ease to the milonga
setting. It's a shame that they are sometimes criticized for their talent
and skill just because some people who have taken a few classes disrupt the
flow of the milonga trying their new steps in an inappropriate setting.

I think that a problem arises when some folks try to replicate the
understated elegance and beauty of the expert's dance in a milonga setting.
This results in graceless plodding, shuffling or stationary posing.
Unfortunately, they think they are dancing with passion and connection.
Self-righteousness can prevent either type from learning to dance with
elegance and feeling. The latter group tends to think that they are dancing
very well no matter how badly they look because they are "dancing for their
partner" and not "for the audience". The truth is that the milonga is
another place where people do watch and see how the dancers dance and they
do judge based on what they see. It's a lot like what the rest of us do when
we observe a beautiful performance by the masters vs. a poorly executed
parody by someone else. I received a message that said something very
appropriate about this. The Argentineans have a saying that goes something
like this: " Bailas del corazon pero todo el mundo esta mirando" = "you
dance from the heart but everybody is watching"............

Regards,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com