[Tango-L] Walking off the floor

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Tue Apr 10 20:29:42 EDT 2007

The first time it happened to me in Buenos Aires I was mortified.  The
man didn't even bother to say good bye.  He just mumbled something and
left the floor.  Everyone saw it.  My former partner, the first time he
danced with me 7 years ago sat me down after 30 seconds of the first
song of the tanda.  I was so shocked.  At least he was nice.  He thanked
me and then took me back to my table.  Years later when we were dancing
together, he would tell me "I don't want you dancing with men who cannot
dance" or "When they cannot dance, just walk off the floor."  Every time
I danced with someone he did not deem worthy of me he would remind me
that I should have walked off the floor.

My answer to him was no.  If the man is a nice man I won't do it.  Have
I walked off the floor?  Yes.  But usually when the man does not treat
me well. By that I mean he is rude.  In the last couple years I think I
have walked off the floor maybe three times.  Once with a man who
absolutely could not dance and the others were just plain rude. The rude
guys to save face usually walk around the room telling the other men
what an idiot the woman is. This blew up in their faces when they found
out I was pretty well known and no one was going to accept that I did
not know how to dance.

 Here in Buenos Aires it was said to me that one must "earn the right"
to walk off the floor.  If a woman or man continuously walks off the
floor, no one will want to dance with them.  Big surprise that is.  Yes,
a well known teacher may elect to do this.  Usually they thank the
person and walk them back to their table.  I think the key is to be
gracious.

Lastly, remind yourself, it is just a dance.  If the person is drunk
and/or rude, that is one thing.  But if you think they cannot it is
another.  Last month a man invited me to dance at Lo de Celia's.  He
could not dance at all.  At first I thought to myself, "what am I
doing"  It turned out he was visiting from Italy.  It was his first trip
to BsAs.  He was so excited to be here.  He was so nice, I just could
not walk off the floor.  We walked around the room for the entire
tanda.  I know people were looking at me, and later, someone actually
did ask me what I was doing.  Maybe this was my random act of kindness.
You know what?  I didn't die, and men still continue to invite me to dance.

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.14 - 9.070.001).
http://www.pctools.com/anti-virus/