[Tango-L] Walking off the floor during a tanda

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 16:23:24 EDT 2007

Ironlogic says in reference to continue dancing with a partner that does not
know how to do it.

" But you know we keep driving them because we made the choice. We keep them
till end, whatever it takes. " "Agreed, a time will when decisions must
made, still more often than not, it must be possible not to hurt someone."

I entirely agree with this position.  We should not hurt anyone's feelings.

In order to prevent hurting anyone we should (once more) follow the codes of
the milonga.

1- We observe how a person dances, once we are certain that person can
navigate the floor then,  we invite such a person to dance.

2- Exception - there is certain lady that has been sitting since she
arrived. We feel very attracted to her, but she sits because nobody is
asking her to dance, nobody knows her.   We wait till the last tango of the
'tanda' to invite her to dance.  In this case the embarrassment cannot last
any longer than one piece of music at the most.

It is always important to remember the milonga codes as they were created
for a reason, many years ago.

As you know the normal flow of the dance causes some couples to use the
center of the floor and others  the periphery.

The periphery is less forgiving, because there, it is not possible to stop
either in a volitive or involuntary way (to perform a figure for instance or
to accommodate the lack of navigation skills of the follower) as this would
interfere with the line of dance; you would interrupt the harmony that were
enjoying many couples sharing the floor. Even when you are able to dance,
you are being inconsiderate to the other dancers.

The center on the other hand, mostly when the floor is not very crowded, is
more forgiving.
Here you can share a place with those that are not skilled enough to dance
in the periphery and stay there.

Remember the lyrics:

" . . . si vas a los bailes, parate en la puerta,
campanea las minas que sepan bailar,
no saqués paquetes que dan pisotones,
que sufran y aprendan a fuerza ´e planchar . . ."
(Seguí mi consejo, Eduardo Trongue y Salvador Merico)

"...if you go dancing, stand by the door,
scope the chicks that know how to dance,
do not invite parcels (bales) that step on your feet,
let them suffer, so that they will learn to avoid sitting all night long..."

Un abrazo y Felices Pascuas,(Happy Easter) Sergio.