[Tango-L] Fwd: Flying Dutchman

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Sat Apr 7 12:36:37 EDT 2007

Wow, a lot of lead-bashing going on this week.  Sorry guys! :(

I understand the social darwinist urges behind wanting to purge the
Supreme Master Race of Tango Dancers of those who are less than
perfectly skilled...but the success of such a project raises a more
immediate and practical concern: if we don't allow for human frailty and
mistakes, how are beginners ever going to learn to dance? (let alone, to
ENJOY it).

As I like to say to my engineer friends contemplating taking these
vows--"dude, this is way more complicated than a golf swing."  And we've
copiously and religiously documented the minimum skill set on this list:

--correct posture and personal hygiene
--walking/dancing in rhythm
--learning the figures or steps
--musicality of interpretation
--connection/frame/resistance
--moving the dance around the room in the line of dance
--communicating the lead to the partner
--doing so sufficiently in advance of the move
--navigating through traffic (our recent bitch fest)

While some on this list talk as if they sprang fully-formed in their
tango perfection from the head of Zeus, I'm sure that the majority of
readers can humbly recall a time when one or more of the above was sadly
lacking from their dance.

So first, I'd like to acknowledge all the guys out there who actually
made it through the lessons, practicas, and negative feedback from
bitchy women and backleaders--and who actually still enjoy dancing.
(There's that word "enjoy" again.)

Leading is a zillion times harder than following.  What a luxury, Fan,
to be able to 'close your eyes'--this means that a leader has learned
pretty much everything there is to learn, and is able and willing to
provide you, the follow, with such a secure and protective yet sensual
environment and experience.  This is a GIFT to you and it comes after
long and hard investment in learning dance skills.  Let's not denigrate
that investment, or make it impossible, or unpalatable.

The suggestion that it's the FOLLOWER'S FAULT that there are bad leads,
because they dance with men who happen to be bad leads?  Oh, please.
I'm not going to fall into that trap, where I'm supposed to turn someone
down and every other lead in the room makes a mental note and penalizes
me forever as a dance rejecter.  I didn't make the sun come up today,
and it's not my fault there are bad leaders.  Why should I put my social
capital and dance reputation at risk??  I'm just a paying customer out
for an evening's enjoyment (there's that "enjoy" word again...yes, I
insist that dancing be enjoyable, or else!).

While each lead obviously bears the ultimate responsibility for how he
dances...let's face it, he did get some help in remaining awful.  How
about looking in the direction of tango instructors and milonga
organizers?  Unlike the follow, they are actually on the clock, getting
paid as professionals, when these problems arise and begin to
fester...and continue to fester.

I'd say that the dance teacher who over-emphasizes patterns and allows
leads to fritter endlessly in a corner (or worse, the middle of the
floor) repeating the same intermediate-advanced move is a lot more
responsible for bad navigation skills than the follow who graciously
accepts a dance.  (I know, it's easier to take someone's money for a
bunch of floor patterns than it is to:  a. be brutally honest with a
paying customer about their shortcomings, thereby risking their status
as a paying customer; and b. actually teach them some social dancing
skills, which don't come easily and which they will undoubtedly feel
inept at, for some time, thereby risking their status as a paying customer).

I also think it's wrong for promoters and milonga organizers to stand by
and let this kind of bad floorcraft go on.  A promoter fills the
professional and social roles of HOST.  It is a host's responsibility to
supervise and coordinate the goings-on at a party--doubly so when they
are being professionally paid.  If one patron of the milonga is
endangering other dancers by repeatedly stepping on them, the host must
take that leader aside and tell him: "you might want to take some
privates and learn better navigation skills, you're not ready for prime
time"--or, if necessary--"I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave.  You
keep repeatedly colliding with the other dancers and it's causing safety
concerns and interfering with other people's ability to enjoy the dance."

CRS