[Tango-L] Fwd: Flying Dutchman

angelaml38@aol.com angelaml38 at aol.com
Sat Apr 7 11:30:08 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: angelaml38 at aol.com
To: Tango-A at MIT.EDU
Sent: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 5:34 PM
Subject: Flying Dutchman

As we all know tango is a wonderful and challenging social experience for both dance partners. The man, as a leader, is responsible for the navigation; interpreting the music; assessing his partner's dance level in order to choreograph something that would make sense in 3 minutes. For us women as followers, we need to adapt to every man's style; his own interpretation of the music; trust his navigation skills and be responsible for our own technique, as well. On top of all that, we all seek to establish a CONNECTION.

Unfortunately, some leaders are NOT ready for the dance floor. Some of the reasons could be their LACK of awareness of space in relation to others; sensitivity to the music or their partners and poor instruction. Good dance instruction should integrate: musicality, walking; space awareness and proper codes of etiquette for invitation and rejection.

Over the years, I found myself dancing with leaders who were not ready for the dance floor because I was too anxious to dance. I had the erroneous belief that I had to dance with whoever asked me. I would get up and dance with them. It may sound pretentious but it is quite uncomfortable to dance with someone with poor navigation skills; disregards his space; does not listen to the music and insists on practicing the steps that he learned in the previous class with every woman he is dancing with on that night but still does not dance with HIS partner.

Years ago, one dance partner in B.A. advised me not to dance with anyone who would not make me feel good or safe. He told me that by doing so, I was encouraging poor dancers. He was right. I learned to wait. He told me to watch the leaders and accept the "cabeceo" from the ones I wanted to dance with.

WAITING is a difficult thing to do when one is anxious to dance but how does one establish a connection when your partner is dancing by himself? Isn't wonderful to find ONE partner that you can connect with that allows you to close your eyes "entregandote" (surrender) to him and the music?

Angela Maria
NYC