[Tango-L] The Flying Dutchman

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Fri Apr 6 21:12:09 EDT 2007

Caroline,

 >Again, what does speed and beats have to do with poor navigation?

Everything.

Everything Caroline.

The speed at which someone is going can affect their navigational
skills.  If they slow down and find the beat again, it will increase
their ability to safely navigate.  This is true in boating, driving,
and any other skill where navigation is key!  Slow down.  Every
teacher tells the same thing in their classes.

[SNIP]

 >And lastly - you say backleading is a good idea. It's not.
 >Followers are not supposed to do that. Ever.

"Not Supposed To..." and "Are" are two different things indeed.
Because it happens all the time.

First and foremost, I said nothing about backleading.  I said to slow
him down.

Secondly..."TANGO IS A DANCE BETWEEN STRONG EQUALS.  Failure of
either partner to show up, then its a dance where you compensate for
the lacking of the other and find the comfortable spot.  And
frequently at that point the dance becomes a dance in mechanics and
body parts rather than fluid beauty and poetry in motion." - Daniel
Trenner.  His exact words, from his lips to my ears 5 months ago. Do
you wish to question Mr. Trenner on the veracity of this statement,
then take it up with him.

Which is to say Caroline that there are two types of followers out
there, the one who follows exactly what was led, and there is nothing
- absolutely nothing - wrong with that.  Occasionally I like dancing
with that type of follower.  Or the one who actively participates in
the dance, in her part, and part of her part is making US look good
any way possible including helping with navigation from her side and
or but is not limited to a liberal dose of adornos and foot play.
And the difference between these two types of dancers is like night
and day.  You can dance with an advanced follower who leads exactly
what was led and the dance for me is about as fun as watching paint
dry.  Give me follower who's actively co - creating with me, and the
dance becomes something else entirely.

 >But I just remembered something, you only started learning the
tango a few months ago.
 >That explains everything.

Just like it explains your lack of tact ?

Most Sincerely,

M i l e s.