[Tango-L] The Flying Dutchman

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 12:31:15 EDT 2007

Because our vision has a large effect on our balance, I don't always recommend dancing with ones eyes closed unless the woman is truly on her OWN balance.  For a lot of beginning and intermediate women, this is not the case.  I hear a lot of complaints from men about women leaning on them with their eyes closed, oblivious to the extra work they are causing the men.

  For women who want to dance with their eyes closed, I suggest making sure that your technique is good enough to allow you to do so without bogging down your partner.  It's not fair to him to have him compensate for a woman's bad balance.

  Trini de Pittsburgh

Fantasia Sorenson <bichonheels at gmail.com> wrote:
  Many of us like to dance with our eyes closed. It helps us focus on the
enjoyment of the feeling of the dance, to shut out distractions. There are
other reasons, too.

I've visited large cities where the motor traffic is simply monstrous and I
must entrust my safety to drivers that apparently only recently occupied
cars at all much less drive them. Do I close my eyes when I ride in those
taxis? You bet I do!

The taxi metaphor is pretty apt. Keeping my eyes shut when I dance is great
for keeping me from being scared to death while I'm a passenger with a crazy
driver.

Here's another apt metaphor, The Flying Dutchman, the ghost ship doomed
never to return home.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Dutchman

I would say that 90% of the time when I'm dancing it's as if I'm a passenger
on The Flying Dutchman, doomed never to return home to the Line of Dance.
Our ship wanders aimlessly over the seven seas. I don't get to choose where
we go. Now, I'd feel safer if we just moved along the outside circle, or if
we remained relatively motionless in the middle. Instead, the captains tend
just to sail anywhere they see some room, whether it's in front of them in
the line of dance or somewhere in the middle of the floor. Hmmm... actually,
they frequently even head for destinations where they DON'T see any room.
They just hope for the best as they indiscriminately plough through the
64-count combination that the famous teacher just gleefully inflicted on a
milonga full of woefully unprepared (myself included) social dancers.

Yes, there will be flames. Everyone always touts the great importance of
caring for their female partners. However, I believe actions, not words.
Prove how much you care about me by guiding me to safe harbors, My Captain!

The eyes have it, but when I dance I clamp them shut.

Fan

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/