[Tango-L] The Flying Dutchman

Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:54:17 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Fantasia Sorenson <bichonheels at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would say that 90% of the time when I'm dancing it's as if I'm a passenger
> on The Flying Dutchman, doomed never to return home to the Line of Dance.
> Our ship wanders aimlessly over the seven seas. I don't get to choose where
> we go. Now, I'd feel safer if we just moved along the outside circle, or if
> we remained relatively motionless in the middle. Instead, the captains tend
> just to sail anywhere they see some room, whether it's in front of them in
> the line of dance or somewhere in the middle of the floor. Hmmm... actually,
> they frequently even head for destinations where they DON'T see any room.
> They just hope for the best as they indiscriminately plough through the
> 64-count combination that the famous teacher just gleefully inflicted on a
> milonga full of woefully unprepared (myself included) social dancers.
>
> Yes, there will be flames. Everyone always touts the great importance of
> caring for their female partners. However, I believe actions, not words.
> Prove how much you care about me by guiding me to safe harbors, My Captain!

No flames here. Men who can't navigate don't belong the social dance
floor. They create chaos for all dancers on the floor (except perhaps
the other Disoriented), not only tightening our muscles as we activate
maximum alert defensive driving and thus make our dances rocky instead
of smooth, but also inflicting cuts and bruises as they pursue their
deterministic path through all the dancing-obstacles on the floor.

Ron