[Tango-L] Can somebody shed some light on the subject

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Tue Apr 3 11:44:17 EDT 2007

Fan,

You said that no one in the US practices cabeceo.  I completely and
absolutely disagree.

In Denver, it is practiced and learned by the new dancers fairly
early.  There is a Memorial Day Milonguero Festival in Denver that is
coming up and the years of this festival have shown that the best of
the best dancers would not even think of inviting or accepting an
invitation any other way.

Personally, regardless of the continent where I dance, I will not
accept an invitation that comes verbally, unless I am with my partner
at a milonga where we sit together or I am chatting with a good friend.

Verbal invitations can often create tense and unpleasant
situations.  If a man looks at a woman and she does not respond, no
one sees that he was turned down.  If a woman looks at a man she
wants to dance with and he does not respond, no one knows that she
was turned down.  This practice allows people to keep their dignity
and have a freedom to say yes or no without the pressure of "not
hurting anybody's feelings".  (I hate that expression with a passion!)

And when women come up to the men and verbally ask them to
dance...  uh, don't get me started!  When they do that, It is an
embarrassment to the sisterhood!  These are the women who have not
mastered any of the feminine arts - charm, seduction, persuasion,
etc.  I read some place a fine definition of charm - getting a yes
without asking a question.  Women who come up and ask a man for a
dance have no dignity.  They are willing to sell whatever dignity
they may have had for dances.  In my view, no dance and no man is worth it.

But not asking is not a passive experience.  You do not sit there
waiting to be collected for a dance.  Women do invite, with their
eyes.  So you have to look who you want to dance with and who is
available and pay attention to when they become available.  Chatting
with girlfriends and paying no attention to the surrounding is not
conducive to positive dance experiences.

I hate crazy American milongas, or any milongas, where there are no
rules of conduct.  The behavior of people who do not know how to
behave because they were not informed can be so out-of-line that a
quality dance experience becomes impossible in such places.

I think that it is unjust and unfair to teach people to get into the
Argentine tango embrace and ask them to dance without teaching them
the rules of conduct.  The closeness and intimacy of the dance must
be protected and the rules will do that.  Cabeceo is one of those
rules.  It is graceful and discrete.  When I person is turned down
with a cabeceo, it can be done in such a way that will not prevent a
future invitation between these partners.  A verbal refusal is pretty
much a guarantee that a person will not ask again.

Investing in learning and practicing the rules can greatly enhance
one's experience of the dance.

Tango is a great place to find and practice what may be missing, such
as proper boundaries, etc., - different things for different people.

The other thing is that Argentine tango as a dance was defined by
these rules and greatly influenced in its development by the conduct
of people and what was acceptable or not and for what reason.  some
reasons are universal and do not change with times.  I see dignity
and respect in tango as values that do not change and that are still
as powerful and as important as they were decades ago.

Warm regards to all,

Nina