[Tango-L] Red Rover

Fantasia Sorenson bichonheels at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:39:36 EDT 2007

On 4/2/07, Nina Pesochinsky <nina at earthnet.net> wrote:

> When women and men sit separately, women dance a lot more.  They have
> an equal opportunity to invite and to be available to be invited.
>
> The seating arrangement also allows men to be free to choose their
> partner without obligation to women who sit near by who may be
> acquaintances or friends.  When a man can choose freely, the energy
> of the place changes dramatically.  ... Most people dance almost every
> tanda.

Well, I don't suppose you could be just making this up, but I have to tell
you it sounds pretty fantastic. The milongas I attend have never been
anything so convivial.

It's very easy to spend a sullen evening waiting for a dance and never to
attract anyone's attention at all. It doesn't help that I'm very proud and
won't ask a man for a dance. I feel Iike I lose a huge percentage of my
possibilities because other women are bellying up to the men who I know like
me and "challenging them to a dance" before those men are able to get to me.

Men feel guilty about saying no to women's invitations, so those of us who
wait to be invited ... sit.

Fan