[Tango-L] Red Rover

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Apr 2 10:57:11 EDT 2007

When women and men sit separately, women dance a lot more.  They have
an equal opportunity to invite and to be available to be invited.

If a woman sits with a man, any man, at her table, she will not be
asked to dance much.  The man can be her brother, but no one will
bother to investigate.  Men respect other men and will not ask such a
woman to dance because she is giving a clear message - a man at her
table is her chosen partner for the evening.

That said, the same goes for the men.  If a man sits with a woman at
a milonga and then tries to invite other women to dance, he most
likely will be turned down.  These codes becomes much more flexible
when the people involved are friends.

There is a reason why there are milongas for couples only.  Such
arrangement leaves no room for confusion.

There are codes of behavior in tango that protect exactly that - the
intimacy of the dance.  Intimacy without boundaries is sleazy and
ends up not being intimacy at all.

When women sit together, they often protect each other from bad
experiences.  Granted, there can be some competition, especially when
a new woman is seated with a group of women she does not know.  But
competition is for women who are insecure.  A woman who is secure in
herself, her dance and her rightful place of belonging at a milonga,
will have an absolute confidence that she will have only the best
dance experiences.  Such a woman does not need to sit with people,
chooses to sit with women without feeling threatened by them and
usually, in my experience, dances a lot and has magnificent dance
experiences without exception.

The seating arrangement also allows men to be free to choose their
partner without obligation to women who sit near by who may be
acquaintances or friends.  When a man can choose freely, the energy
of the place changes dramatically.  These milongas where men and
women sit separately have intense, exciting energy.  Everyone is in
their natural element.  Most people dance almost every
tanda.  Dancing is emphasized much more because there is very little
socializing going on.

Milongas where men and women sit together, such as many friends
sitting at the same table, are usually not for dancing and everyone
understands that you might dance a tanda or two, but the experience
is about hanging out with friends.

It takes a bit of time to figure out many things about the world of tango.

Warmest regards,

Nina