[Tango-L] The call to tango, and "gender polarization"

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed Sep 27 21:53:01 EDT 2006

David,

You wrote:

What I understand about Carl Jung is that he took some concepts that
>have been around for a very long time. Added some new names and ways of
>looking at them, in a really beautiful and effective way. Then made it
>palatable and sale able to the intellectual community. Helping with the
>evolution of what we know as modern psychology (for as humans evolve, the
>concepts, ideals and explanations change as well).

Just a tiny correction... Carl Jung, mostly through dream analysis,
but also through some other work, has presented us with a concept of
the collective unconscious.  The implications of his work have been
so profound, that one of the most effective, not ot mention
interesting and extremely useful, instruments of assessment (MBPI)
has been  based on his typology of personality.  This is not to
mention the much more recent, monumental work of Joseph Campbell, as
well as "The Star Wars", which is "the hero's journey" at its core in
Jungian terms. (Where would we be without "The Star Wars"?!)

The codes and traditions of tango are very, very simple.  They serve
a practical purpose - they protect people's dignity and emotions, and
provide guidelines of conduct in a social situations that could
potentially be uncomfortable.

Old or not, the codes of conduct have to serve a practical purpose,
or they need to be changed.  One example of a situation where the new
codes must emerge is for the milongas where both single dancers and
couples mix.  I believe that such milongas exists only outside of
Argentina.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have never
encountered such milongas in Buenos Aires, with an exception of the
artificial milongas created for festivals.

In this case, there seem to be no old codes of behavior that can be
applied.  Again, please correct me if I am wrong.  And yet clear
codes of conduct are much needed.  Common sense can provide some
guidance, but people often do not share much of the common sense, and
there really is nothing like that anyway because there is nothing
common about it, but you know what I mean!

Warmest regards to every one,

Nina