[Tango-L] tango.. must change..

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Tue Sep 26 14:38:15 EDT 2006

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:11:13 -0700, you wrote:

>"Tango is a social dance, built on
>social relationships, and it will change, it must change as those social
>arrangements change around it in a changing society."
>
>- I have heard these words many times in many variations.
>
>It make a lot of sense if a person exclaiming it knows well the dance of the
>"previous" unchanged society. If he/she does not know the actual dance, this
>argument is just a cheap cover for not being able to know and understand the
>classical tango dance.
>
>I can see the reason. It happened to me too many times. It is just so much
>easier to invent something new than to learn something established and well
>developed. Why? Because you start from the scratch, virginally white paper,
>without scratches and remarks. There are no intricacies yet, there is no
>competition, and with some marketing skill you become a "guru" and a
>"visionary", respected leader much quicker - there is no one around yet!
>
>Dance is the dance as well as science is science. Pythagorean theorem is
>true even if it was discovered 2000 years ago. You do not want to use it
>because "society  changed"? Well, that is your problem.
>
>Igor Polk.

Just an observation.

Pythagoras spoke the language of Science.
Science may be mostly undiscovered, but will be...
And what there is of it, is fixed.

Tango speaks the language of Art.
Art can never be fully discovered.
Simply because it is not fixed...

Unless you tie it to pi.   :-)

Floyd

     Argentine Tango - Buffalo Tango - Sun Tango
      * * * * * www.buffalotango.com  * * * * *