[Tango-L] Argentine Tango on Dancing with the Stars

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Sep 22 10:07:13 EDT 2006

Nina,

  The "culture of Tango*" in Argentina is an invention of romantic souls.  There are Argentine societal and behavioral norms and customs which are  part of its Culture, and Tango, as well as all the other dances, are  innately danced conforming to those. Just like in your country.

   "Authenticity" is yet another elusive romantic invention. I  surmise that you are knowledgeable about the evolution of  the  "authenticity" movement in classical music. Same thing. It cannot be  achieved, and even if we could get it, as authentic as it can be, ( via  a time machine?), chances are we wouldn't like it, for our behavior and  tastes have evolved (how would you like to dance in public with a  stranger who presses your pelvis against his, with the hand on your  derriere? but then...)

  Lucia :-)

  PS *There is a lively Business of Tango instead, maintaining the illusions....

Nina Pesochinsky <nina at earthnet.net> escribió:  Authenticity is an illusive thing in Argentine tango.  There are
people who fake the dance and there are also people who fake the
culture.  I know many foreigners who are much more Argentine than the
Argentines are.  Are they faking it?  I think not.  To preserve the
culture, you need the authentic and the fake, and only when they
meet, the nature of each is revealed.

The interesting thing is that we associate tango with Argentina,
while most Argentines do not associate themselves with the
tango.  Many Argentines profoundly dislike it.  These Argentine
people, who live in the modern Argentine culture, do not live in the
culture of tango.

If the dance is authentic, it speaks a universal language.  It is
impossible to teach the culture of the dance to people who have no
emotional connection to that culture.  But it is possible to teach
them to dance in an authentic way.

Best regards,

Nina

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287