[Tango-L] Argentine Tango on "Dancing with the Stars"

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 10:56:23 EDT 2006

If you watch "Dancing with the Stars", or "So You Think You Can Dance"  you simply
  must learn to reduce your expectations for Argentine Tango in the shows to an
  extremely low level.

  I prefer "So You Think You Can Dance". There you can see someone who has great
  training as a jazz dancer try to learn something that is supposed to be Argentine
  Tango. The hip hoppers and poppers often have trouble learning waltz, for example.

  SYTYCD has Alex de Silva as one of the professional choreograhpers who works with the dancers. His stuff comes out not looking like AT, and he reportedly
  "started out in" Argentine Tango. Again, does anyone know anything about him?
  On DWTS I believe all of the "pros" create their own routines.

  Perhaps on the other hand, take a look at this page to see if this kind of thing
  happens elsewhere.

  http://www.tangoandchaos.org/4%20FormFunction/01%20CasaTomada.htm

Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net> wrote:
  At least that's what Tom Bergeron said. I thought this would
be a wonderful introduction for viewers not familar. What a
DISAPPOINTMENT!! The music wasn't Argentine. It was
something out of ballroom. There was very little embracing.
There were a lot of splits, jumps, and lifts. They were
executed well, but was it tango?? Not to me.

Michael Ditkoff
Disappointed in Washington, DC

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango