[Tango-L] Teaching couples vs Solo Teachers

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Sep 20 12:39:34 EDT 2006

 The advantages of the professional teaching couple are so obvious, not just
for the sake of visually seeing the correct technique, but hearing the
explanations and impressions from both partners as to what is transmitted,
what is felt,  that I wonder why this question was posed in this manner.
The only possible disadvantage I can think of is expense: other things such
as reputation being equal(admittedly they rarely are)it costs more to hire a
famous teaching couple than a solo instructor.  Most of the better teaching
couples have been together for some time,  which has helped them create
their unique artistry.  So, the real decision comes down to the premium you
are willing to pay for the couple,  which is a function of the size and/or
discretionary cash of your tango community.

Do you prefer that your teachers teach with a partner or alone, using the
students to demonstrate moves? Why? What are the advantages or
disadvantages?

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN "

Message: 2