[Tango-L] Milonga Aftermath - Sore hips

Caroline Polack runcarolinerun at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 14:51:13 EDT 2006

So many people replied to my post about the sore hips that it was really
quite touching. Apparently, it's quite a common symptom, other than sore
feet and back pain. (although strangely enough, my back pain goes away when
I tango, not the other way around - well, maybe that's not so strange,
exercise is good for the back).

Many people asked for more clarification regarding exact location of the
pain. It's the ball and socket joints that were hurting me the most, on the
front of my hips. One woman who replied privately suggested that because in
tango, there's so much focus on keeping knees together, our hips tend to do
more inward rotations that I should try, in the privacy of my home to
counteract by doing outward rotations, simply by sitting with knees apart. I
tried that as well as focusing more on stretching my inner thigh muscles and
it helped GREATLY! Went out dancing Milonga-style (that fast stuff) for two
hours last night and for the first time, came home with no pain at all. I've
now made a habit of stretching fully every single day, twice a a day and in
a few days, my pain was completely gone.

Many many thanks to all who replied.