[Tango-L] Given that it's a bit quiet here ; ) ... copied from Tango-UK

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Fri Oct 27 23:03:00 EDT 2006

*Subject:* Re: [tango-uk] Re: Bigotism
*From:* "Chris" <chrisjj.egroups at chrisjj.com>
*To:* Tango-UK at yahoogroups.com
*CC:* chrisjj.egroups at chrisjj.com
*Date:* Sat, 28 Oct 2006 03:46 +0100 (BST)

"hawkez99" <hawkez99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chris - Surely that video is a demonstation of a single concept rather
> than a style (thus the repetition)?

I think you just hit the tango nuevo nail on the head... ;)

> I also see a few of chicho's videos on youtube
> this guy has incredible connection to the music

I have to say I see no evidence of that in his nuevo numbers on youtube
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Chicho+tango or on his home site
www.ar8.com.fr/gitango/ . Even allowing for the fact that as demos most of
them are fake - the nuevo soundtracks we hear have been added after filming.

Whereas he does show great connection in trad numbers such as
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TKp4ech7Y (Edgardo Donato's "La Tapera", 1936).
That's the real thing. The live Chicho performances I've seen tell the
same story.

As Paul reminded us recently, the music is the source of the dance. This
is the only way social tango can work. Our shared experience of the music
is what keeps everything together. Contrast the tango nuevo above, which
seems to be just something done alongside the music. Perhaps that's OK for
show tango and dance school tango, but for what we currently conceive to
be social tango, it means nuevo "style" just does not work.

Happy music-sourced dancing, everyone! ;)

Chris