[Tango-L] BsAs safety reminder

macfroggy@aol.com macfroggy at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 12:34:36 EDT 2006

Greetings to the List,

          I'm forwarding a couple of posts from the BANewcomers List
regarding a recent attack on an American.
Not to frighten anyone, but with so many foreign dancers coming down
here in November, it's just a reminder to be careful. After the
following info by Karen and a link to the article in Clarin on the
story, Ginger gives some very sane tips on avoiding problems during
your visit here. Have fun, but take care. Like big cities all over the
world, especially in poor countries, remember it's not Disneyland.

            --Cherie

"He's in the ICU at Hospital Fernandez. Victim is 48 years old who was
renting an apartment in Recoleta. The police chief asked the US Embassy
for a profile of the victim but they haven't gotten it yet. It happened
Sunday night at 2am at Arenales 2252 8 C. The neighbors heard screaming
and noises and called the police. When the police arrived, they found
the victim tied up, beat up, and bleeding from a stab wound to the
abdomen. They quickly combed the area and at 2:30 they arrested a 22
year old person at Santa Fe 2200 block. He had bloodstains on his
clothes. He was holding items from the victim. The aggressor had used a
knife he found in the kitchen. The victim had surgery. The doctors said
the surgery was a success, but it will take time to determine how he
will recover. His current status is stable but serious (delicate). The
police said everything pointed to the fact that the victim let the
aggressor into the apartment, but they don't know why (the original
article suggested that the victim had invited the young man into his
apartment either for sexual favors or for mutual sexual relations. I
don't know if that is true or not).

Here's an article in Clarin that pretty much says what I said. I wonder
if anyone wants to show support for this poor man......again, I don't
know if he's alone in BA. How sad would that be if he has no one?"

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/10/16/policiales/g-04101.htm

Karin E. Hosenfeld
Registered, Licensed Dietitian
Plano, Texas

"I've been following this on the news. He was attacked by a "taxi boy"
(that is the Argentine term for male prostitute) in his apartment in a
robbery attempt. The "taxi boy" was arrested. The man is in the
hospital from multiple stab wounds.
PLEASE be careful about who you take home. My Argentine friend was just
robbed of 800 pesos, his cell phone and his jacket by a girl he picked
up from Club 69. He was so drunk he doesn't even remember if he had sex
with her.
This is not about morals. . . this is VERY common in BA. Taxi boys are
always robbing their clients. . . I have a variety of stories, often
involving television sets.
If you want to pick someone up for a night of fun:
1) if you want to pay for your fun, use a respectable service. same
concept as radio taxi--if fun goes bad, you have a number to call.
2) if you like picking up people, use a "love hotel" also known as a
Telo. They are everywhere, charge for 3 hour shifts, clean, and lots of
security. You can't leave until they verify that your partner is alive!
3) Pick people up from a neighborhood bar that you frequent, so people
know you and will look out for you.
4) Ask yourself: if she/he robs my tv, can i get it back? meaning, do
you have some way to track down this person? Friends in common? If the
answer is no, TELO it!
5) ask for ID before sex and make a photo copy. jajaja, just kidding
you.
6) USE A CONDOM (just reminding you). "
-Ginger