[Tango-L] The thrill is gone... how to get it back?

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:56:53 EDT 2006

>From: "Robert Armus" <rarmus at hotmail.com>

>Hello everyone : - )
>
>When I first started going out to Milongas to dance I didn't know anyone
>(because I was new in town) nor all the rules and had a GREAT time asking
>everyone and anyone to dance, even though I couldn't execute many figures
>or
>have much technique for that matter, I was very enthusiastic and did have
>many "Tango moments". Usually the girl I was dancing with enjoyed also, and
>then, of course, inevitably I started to get some bad (sometimes downright
>nasty) reactions. I was told that "you can't do this" and "never do that"
>etc. So after a period of thinking about packing it in I started to take
>classes with some popular local teachers to try and fit in. Now I know the
>rules (social and dancing) and dance how they expect everyone to dance. I
>no
>longer get nasty comments but I find that the thrill is gone, I feel like
>I'm in a box and have to be very careful not to break any of the rules and
>rarely have those special moments. Does anyone else relate to this? Does
>the
>thrill come back?
>
>Rob

Dear Rob,

Have faith, you've not lost the thrill of tango at all. Perhaps what you
thought was the thrill and fun was your exuberance at finding a new toy.
Like the children who happily run and jump laughing and screaming with
delight kicking the balls, throwing the wickets at each other and chasing
each other with the mallets. They are having a blast with the croquet set
and the lawn, and they are sad and upset when some grownup makes them stop
their fun and tries to teach them to play and enjoy the real game of
croquet.

While dancing tango is quite different than playing croquet (and IMHO, much
more fun (-:). The analogy is similar. Playing the game as it's meant to be
played and using the structure of the game and the rules, does not take away
from the fun of it. On the contrary, the game can be much more enjoyable to
those who can actually play it. To expand on the analogy, imagine what a
group of players would do if some children ran into their game a started
kicking the wickets, throwing the balls, etc? Maybe at first and for a time
or two, they might laugh and enjoy watching the children play. After all,
it's only a game, right? Of course, for those who really enjoy their game of
croquet and want to play it without disruption, they'll prevent the
intrusion and disruption so they might enjoy themselves. They might attempt
to counsel and instruct the interlopers so they too may join the game and
play it properly so everyone can have fun.

Likewise in tango, those of us who really enjoy dancing tango in a
traditional way prefer to enjoy it without undue disruption. The tango has a
structure and some general rules which came about over time and make it
possible to enjoy the activity more intensely. I don't like tango police or
tango nazis running around punishing people of stopping people from being
expressing themselves through their dance. After all, tango is an artistic
expression and nobody wants a whole room of cookie cutter dancers who look
and dance exactly alike. OTOH, it's also a huge bother to have people
darting about in all directions, against the line of dance and in many ways
interfering with the flow of the dance. In tango, there are also certain
social conventions which make it easier and more comfortable for people to
interact with each other. Ignoring or disregarding these social conventions
is also undesirable and makes people uncomfortable.

In my experience, dancing the tango in the traditional way and respecting
the social conventions of the milonga (and of each community) can generally
improve the enjoyment of the tango experience. It's infinitely more fun to
enjoy a milonga where one can dance and enjoy without worry of collisions or
awkward social moments.

Manuel