[Tango-L] To dance or not to dance

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Oct 12 16:17:33 EDT 2006

Caroline wrote:

And if milonga music starts playing, I will decline if I
suspect the partner
> will attempt to make me do steps I've yet to learn for
milonga is fast stuff!

Milonga is not fast stuff. The main problem is dancers
confuse notes with beats. Milonga is in 2/4 time which means
two beats per measure with each beat a quarter note. (A
measure can have 2 quarter notes, 4 eighth notes or a
combination of quarter and eighth notes.) The problem is
that many dancers feel they have step on EVERY NOTE. You
don't have to step on every note, but at least EVERY BEAT.

I sugget practicing in the comfort and privacy of your home.
Put on a milonga and just WALK to the music. Listen for the
1-2 in each measure. An easier explanation is just step on
the strong beat. After a while you'll feel you're not
rushing around the floor.

Michael
Washington, DC
Enjoying the NY ferry festival photos on www.siferry.com