[Tango-L] Should you dance every tanda?

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Wed Oct 11 15:59:21 EDT 2006

I remember when I first came to Buenos Aires, and until about 2.5 years
ago I would dance almost every tanda.  I was crazy to dance as much as I
could, and I did dance.  Then something happened.  I was no longer being
invited to dance as much as I was before.  I asked Mimi, and others why
this was happening.  They all  said about the same thing.  There are two
kinds of people who do not dance; the very beginners and the very best.

They along with other friends told me that I must learn to enjoy the
music and the moment, that the dances would come.  What I learned to do
was wait for the music I enjoyed to be played.  If there was someone I
liked dancing with to that music, I would hope with the cabaceo they
would invite me to dance.  If not, I was happy to enjoy the moment the
songs I loved were being played.  I learned the reason many of the best
dancers do not dance is that they prefer to wait to dance 1 or 2 tandas
of music they like with someone they enjoy dancing with, rather than to
dance every tanda and enjoy less.

So, should you dance every tanda?  Sure if you want to.  It's all relative.