[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 11 12:46:39 EDT 2006

Alexis,

 In your message you provided more pointers to your  musical taste. From what I gather, I find it interesting, and not bad  at all, although regarding the dancing selection, we differ. My  comments in-line.

  Lucia

Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com> escribió:>  In a tango tanda, I reserve the right to play three d'Arienzo from old  20s to the end of the 40s just to show how much he himself evolved,

  Is this dancers or a listening club that you play to? dancers couldn't  care less about D'Arienzo's evolution. Spare yourself the effort ;-)

> Or I'll start with rythmical tangos but slowly evolve to more lyrical
ones just before I'll start playing vals -

  Matter of opinion, but most dancers yearn for change of style at the  end of a tanda. The "introduction" that you play waters down both the  current tanda and the surprise of the following one.

> To  some, that's all heresy. If there's more than one orchestra in a tanda,  if the track recordings are separated by more than two years,[snip]

  For many, if they like a particular song, would like to never end.  Playing four of the same, more or less, is good. Dancers do not conduct  comparative musical studies when dancing; some DJs do while playing...

> or if they even hear a hint of a singer (in particular -God forbid-
a female singer), they're astonished that, not only I do not get
incinerated on the spot by the True Tango gods,

  These are False Gods!!!  The majority of vocal tangos are the best  ever composed and recorded. Instrumental Tangos may have a mor  pronounced rhythm, but where is the warmth and the musical line of the  vocal ones??

> [True Gods] nag incessantly for me  to play (just) Biaggi or 20s d'Arienzo for the next tanda, even though  they just *had* two tandas of music in similar style.

  False Gods, again!!

> I vehemently disagree that music of the late 40s is unfit to dance on,
and  also insist that I shouldn't ban all tracks that happen to have a  singer singing on it, just because some tango fascists will insist it's  "confusing" to dancers just because they're too thick to interpret  music with more melodic lines.

  Wholeheartedly agree with you...

>  I'll also reserve the right to play 1955 Paris "Bando" and "Preparense"  eventhough they're played by the Antichrist aka Piazolla. So there.

  Although Preparense is not dancing music, and IMO shouldn't be played  for that purpose, it is great music, and so are some Piazzola early  tangos.

http://www.campaignforrealbeauty.com/flat3.asp?id=2287