[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:07:59 EDT 2006

>Manuel,
>
>I do not have an exact rule for relaxing and enjoying.  I know that I can
>relax, dance and enjoy without requiring a specific order of music in a
>tanda or length of a cortina. At the same time, I respect the opposite
>point of view as much as my own.

Fair enough, I don't expect an exact rule specially since I don't have one
either (-; My question should have been more along the lines of your
predilection. Do you prefer conventional, let's say, classic tango dancing
to tango music such as Darienzo with Echague or D'Agostino with Vargas or
perhaps dancing a freer, less structured style of dance to music such as
Narcotango, Gotan, or Greek, Turkish or other ethnic genres..... Perhaps you
are in the middle and you don't really care one way or another. Perhaps you
enjoy everything.....

I'm curious, I really don't understand the appeal of non-tango music for
tango-like dance. I guess I'm a bit of a purist. I like tango music, the
traditional kind like they play in the milongas of BAires and I enjoy
dancing tango in a traditional way to the rhythm of the music. I feel the
same way about other genres of music and dance that I enjoy. I no more wish
to dance tango to some French song that I want to dance Salsa to the Gypsy
Kings or Swing to classic rock.

>To explain the use of the term 'snob', I would like to point out the
>phonetic likeness of 'snob' and 'slob'.  The comparison seemed fit for the
>situation since one of the terms was already brought up.

OK, no big deal. I just don't care to see a discussion degenerate into name
calling or facile labeling.

Sincerely,

Manuel