[Tango-L] A Newer Ode to Joy

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Tue Oct 10 15:32:02 EDT 2006

This is not so, dear Gibson.

First of all there are 3 tango dances: tango, vals, and milonga. Milonga is
fun. Well, of course it is the way one dances it. Vals is happy. At least it
should be ( progression and rotation, smoothness, flight ... are features of
the vals, right? ). So we have a perfect mix of emotions here.

Secondly, many tango styles are much more joyful, especially composed in
30s: D'Arienzo. There is even a word: Tango-Milonga.

Thirdly, it is well known, when one is in trouble or feeling blue, the more
sad music heals soul wounds much better.

Tango-Nuevo is much darker than classical tango. Musically-wise. Pizzolla's
Tango Nuevo - that is what everything started from. Listen to the records:
almost Wagner !

Tango is not sadness. Tango is meditation. And your
"up-beat-no-matter-what-fidelity" is much more melancholical to me than
tangos.

Yes there are a lot of "melancholy" in tango. But that is the way tango is.
It IS tango.

It is not melancholy. It is sensuality and "high-class".

Igor.

Dear List:

Reflecting on tango music compared to other common musical dance forms
(salsa, swing), I see a distinct pattern of separation:  tango is
melancholy, salsa and swing are joyous.

In this vein, it is easy for me to see why nuevo tango is so reprehensible
to many tango-philes.....it is just too happy.  Would you agree?  Tango
dancers love to express themselves in sadness (in my estimation), and the
upbeat joyous high-fidelity new music just doesn't do it for many
traditional dancers.

All is OK with me.  But still, I love nuevo music, and it doesn't bother me
to be in the minority....as long as someone out there plays it from time to
time.

I thrive on the joy and abandon that new music inspires in my dance, and in
my partners.  I would think that there are many people across the world,
including in BsAs, who would agree with me.

What do you think?

Gibson
Minneapolis