[Tango-L] Cortinas (not the old car from the '70s)

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 10:11:23 EDT 2006

>I'll proclaim it loud and clear: I don't play traditional tandas.
>I mix orchestras. I know what I'm doing, and very often I do things
>just to wrongfoot people's expectations, just to challenge them.

Thanks for the heads up Alexis. I will add your milongas to my "stay away
from" list :-)

>My attitude had always been that there's room for something different,
>and if some people think there isn't, then they are free to walk.

Sadly, with the proliferation of "new", "improved", 'evolved", etc.
non-tango dance events, some poor folks have nowhere to walk to.....

>I don't do that because of my big ego (even though it towers above the
>ego of many), but because there *are* people who find some conventions
>stifling, especially if things like tandas start to act like crutches
>on the unimaginative DJs who play safe for an entire evening,
>boring their audience to death (unfortunately, from what people tell
>me, there is little comfort in the fact that this torture is
>inflicted in a culturally correct way).

The only torture I suffer is at milongas where the music is nondanceable,
tandas are non existent and the DJ's sorry attempts at individuality,
creativity, uniqueness or cleverness result in pathetic, unbearable periods
of time. The use of tandas and traditional dance music are not crutches any
more than the use of the proper, high quality ingredients in the preparation
of a classical food recipe.

Inflicting pain and suffering on tango lovers from the DJ booth is
inexcusable. Doubly so if it's done from a narcisistic, egocentric, arrogant
self delusion. Please spare me the BS. There is way too much crap being
perpetrated under the Argentine tango name these days. Sadly, even some
Argentineans are participating in the sell out of the tango. Shame on them
and shame on everybody who's bent on the destruction of the classic
Argentine tango.

Manuel