[Tango-L] alternative tango

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Mon Oct 9 09:04:42 EDT 2006

 I would agree with Jackie.  Not only is it really not here, it is not
really liked.  First as one who dances salon tango, I love tango
electronica music.  When I try to play it in my house, my friends have
multiple heart failures.  I am not only talking about my friends in the
50s and up, I am also talking about my friends who are in their 20s,
30s.  They still prefer the "traditional" tangos.

Yes, there are about 4 - 7 practicas where the newer music is played,
but at last count there were 135 milongas (not counting practicas) in
Buenos Aires.  Most of the locals consider it music and dance for
foreigners. To be exact - they say for "export". (This includes my
non-dancing friends) For whatever reason people in the U.S. like to
persist in thinking that there is this new large movement here of young
people who are going to change the traditional tango.  While tango like
all dances, like all things really, continues to evolve, I really do not
think that you are going to see salon tango give way to tango nuevo and
tango electronica.  It may find its place, as it has, in practicas, and
smaller venues.

We are seeing younger people in classes and milongas who want to learn
how to dance salon style.  Their desire is not coming from pushy parents
(who more than likely do not dance), it is coming from a pride of
heritage more than anything.  Something that is not a part of tango nuevo.