[Tango-L] DJing

jackie ling wong jackie.wong at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 8 20:19:19 EDT 2006

that was cute brian  :-)...

"what many would consider alternative" (maybe not Jackie, though ;)...
but it's not clear what you mean.  i consider any music that is not
traditional to be alternative music.  that's my definition.  even the
modern tango classics.  my comment about my friend is that he plays
only a few alternative songs that are not electronic tangos and
considers himself radical.  i wouldn't.  brian, you sound
radical...  ;-)

and, yep, if you play 45 minutes of "alternative"  some folks will
label the milonga as an alternative milonga.  at NeoTangoZone last
night, a milonga i co host with daniel trenner, i play mostly
traditional with scattered alternative and then a larger segment at
the end of the evening.  i would say it's about 75% traditional and
25% alternative total for the evening.... and yet, we are THE
alternative milonga.  i don't mind the label.  i personally prefer
this percentage split.  i don't enjoy djing a totally "alternative"
music milonga.  i am addicted to calo, canaro, and fresedo/ray and
would not be able to dj an evening without those  orchestras.

brian, i think it's great that the response to your music was
positive at el motivo...  and andres, which beatles do you like?  the
original recordings?  and you don't like any music besides
traditional and the beatles?  really?  tell me it isn't so.. :-)
so is it the younger crowd in BA that is bringing in the alternative
stuff?  are the americans and/or europeans influencing the mix or is
it independent or is it both?

one quick aside,  andres, the colgadas workshop that you taught with
meredith in pittsburgh make a couple of light bulbs go on for me.
thank you! and brian, are you and deb visiting danny again soon?
jackie
www.tangopulse.net

No, actually I said, "At the Monday and Thursday practicas run by El
Motivo
Tango...the music from 8pm - 11:15pm or so was entirely classical
tango (Di
Sarli, D'Arienzo, Biagi, Pugliese, etc.).  From 11:15pm until
midnight, the
music shifted toward what many would consider alternative."

A milonga with 3 hrs 15 min of classical tango and 45 min of "what many
would consider alternative" (maybe not Jackie, though ;) ) is...an
"alternative milonga"??  Under the circumstances I'm not sure if
that's a
useful designation. That's more than 80% classical tango music at an
"alternative milonga".  What are the ratios at typical "alternative
milongas" in San Francisco?

All the best,
Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
Boulder, Colorado USA
www.danceoftheheart.com
"Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time"

End of Tango-L Digest, Vol 7, Issue 8