[Tango-L] Cortinas

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:13:50 EDT 2006

>DJs in North America do not understand what a cortina is for. That's why
>they don't play them, play them incorrectly or chose the wrong music.

I don't agree with your statement. *Some DJ* might not understand the
purpose of the tandas/cortinas, but it's not useful to make such blanket
statements.

>The answer to the question about the length of a cortina is as follows: The
>length of the cortina should be long enough for all dancers to clear the
>floor, sit down at their respective tables, have a sip of wine, put their
>glasses back on and look around to see where their next prospect may be
>sitting.
>
>As such, having cortinas shorter than 1.5 minutes simply isn't appropriate.
>
>There are no exceptions to this.

What you say is not necessarily true nor germaine to every milonga. The
original purpose of the cortinas was to get the patrons to quit dancing and
go to the bar and order drinks. It turns out that the cortina and tanda
system works out quite well to make the milongas work smoothly

>There are a lot of people in the US (mainly from Ann Arbor, NYC, Dallas and
>Portland) that are profiting from DJing around the country. Every single
>one
>of these people do not understand the concept of cortinas.

Neil, I don't like your hostile, agressive attacks on people. If you don't
care for a particular DJ or another, vote with your feet and avoid the
milonga. If you feel the need to personally criticize the DJ personally, at
least do it to their face and take the consequences.

>Please do not look to those who DJ incorrectly for inspiration. Go to
>Buenos
>Aires to learn.
>
>Neil

Use whatever or whomever you like and go anywhere you like. The DJing you do
will speak for itself and you'll either sink or succeed. It's good to go to
BAires and learn the genuine article, but it's not necessary. There are
plenty of excellent DJs here in the USA. You just got to find them.

Manuel