[Tango-L] Discussion Topics

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Mon Oct 2 14:05:45 EDT 2006

I wholeheartedly agree with Chris (UK)'s points. Teaching is up to the
teacher, and nothing is inevitable.

As for learning, that is the student's burden-- regardless of the
teacher's presentation-- and I'm very much in favor of taking notes. I
used to merely *say* this all the time, and eventually realized it was
hot air. So, three months ago, I went to a dollar-store, bought 60 cheap
notebooks and pens (total bill: $15), and offered them for free during a
group class. I repeated this week after week. I still have most of that
stack, but several people have started taking notes diligently, even
during class.

A few days ago, one of my note-taking students was describing to me the
different methods of notation he's gone through, the trial-n-error
experience of putting things into his own words, and so forth. The
little diagrams, etc. It's not such a struggle; he was speaking with
delight.

That, to me, is the reason to take a class in the first place-- tackling
the material as ourselves. As students, we have to translate the lesson
into our own terms; and we have to take some initiative if we're to
retain the material. Some of it sticks immediately, with experienced
students; much doesn't, but that doesn't mean it must be lost without a
fight.

My own note-taking has led to a lot of analysis, and has influenced the
way I teach and the way I dance. It leads to reflection and speculation;
it generates exact questions; it produces a record. I find it an act
both critical and creative. I don't blow my nose on those who watch
videos or anything, but that's quite a different activity. That's
watching TV, unless you take notes on the videos too. And I don't think
it's fair to criticize any teacher without having *studied* what they
taught.

I also recommend taking notes on yoga, cinema, music, cuisine, your
life-- everything. There is no good argument against it, compared to the
arguments for it.

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC