[Tango-L] The call to tango, and "gender polarization"

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Sun Oct 1 16:15:07 EDT 2006

It probably would not be a "responsible" leader, because the word
"responsible" already suggests an empowered archetype.  The archetype
is neutral.  It has shadow and light forms.  If it plays itself out
in a shadow form, then the goal is to move it to the light.  That is
what has been called the shadow work in psychology.

Each person has many, many archetypes that can be very unique to that
individual.  However, there are some basic archetypes that everyone
has, some of which I had mentioned.  I think that a 'responsible
leader"  would probably extend beyond the tango experience.  It could
be an extension of some heroic archetype, but probably not a knight
or a warrior.  On the other hand, it could be either one of those, or
maybe the prince archetype as well, depending whether or not it is
the light or shadow side.  What does the knight, warrior, or prince
do?  The knight usually is associated with saving the princess, the
warrior's goal is to win (although the enlightened warrior tried to
never draw his sword, and the prince archetype usually never becomes
king, but he could marry the princess.  So if one dances to save
the  princess, his responsible leader could be springing from the
knight archetype.  If the responsible leader focuses on saving the
dance and movements, then it could be the warrior (who usually could
not care less about the princess).  If the responsible leader happens
to be a prince archetype, then he will always try to be a king
wihtout ever succeeding (in the shadow).

Anyway, this is fun.  I have something new to occupy myself with now
working out archetypes and tango, especially when some milongas bore
me to tears.

Jungian work is much, much more universal (and interesting) than
anything about tango itself.  Tango is just one tiny facet of human
experience.  When tango seems big and occupies one's life, then that
may be something to look at (and I know this because I have lived the
life of tango for the last 11 years).  All I can say, is that it is
best that people own their tango than letting tango own them.

I am sorry, but even though I have many ideas, have fast fingers, and
love the sharing of thoughts and ideas, I am out of time, so you may
not hear from me for a while.  I hope that the discussion
continues.  Tango is everything and everything is tango.  Tango reflects life.

Always with you in the madness of tango,

Nina