[Tango-L] Smoking section at a milonga in Buenos Aires -- an update on Lo de Celia

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Thu Nov 30 10:37:06 EST 2006

Shortly after writing about a smoking section at Lo de Celia, the situation
changed.  It seems that four city inspectors showed up one night to
investigate.  It's possible that someone complained about the smoking policy
in her club since all other milongas are nonsmoking.  Celia Blanco has
decided to play it safe and not allow smoking during any of her milongas
until she has it in writing that she is allowed to have a smoking section.
Those who want to smoke go have to go out on the balcony or to the street.

The foreign invasion has been evident at Celia's where I've met dancers from
Italy, Sweden, Norway, and the US in the past last week.  A 35-year-old
woman from Torino, Italy told me that she prefers dancing at Celia's even
though no one is close to her age.